After New Mexico’s flash flood, two people died and one went missing

After flash floods swept through a region that had been burned by the state’s largest recorded wildfire, two women were killed and another was missing in New Mexico, officials said on Friday.

The bodies and a capsized car were discovered by first responders on Thursday afternoon in a creek, according to a statement released late Friday by the San Miguel County Sheriff’s Office. East of Santa Fe, where the wildfire has recently consumed hundreds of thousands of acres, is where the flash flooding took place.

The missing person, who authorities believe to be a man, was still being looked for on Friday by the New Mexico State Police and other organizations. The identities of the victims were kept a secret.

On Friday night, the San Miguel County Sheriff’s Office was contacted with inquiries; however, a comment could not be made right away.

In a news release, state officials said that the burned area was still experiencing heavy rain on Friday. More than an inch of water fell in some places in less than an hour.

According to the National Weather Service office in Albuquerque, “surge of monsoon moisture” is anticipated across much of New Mexico on Sunday, and the risk of flash flooding will increase through the middle of next week. Wildfire burn scars would be “especially susceptible to runoff, flash flooding, and debris flow,” the document warned.

  • Add Your Comment